Monday, December 4, 2006

Oh Class with Eda


One day she came to my class. It was the first time since that first time.


I had a couple other newcomers so I did my stock-standard introduction: ask why they came to the US and why they're studying English. I can focus my lessons to their needs that way. Until I actually did that, I was going to talk about what I wanted: living together before marriage, crazy laws in our countries, cultural taboos, multi-cultural relationships. Today I was going to make them customs officers giving or withholding green cards from each other. We went around the room and I got the stock-standard answers.


"I want to get into an American university."

"I need to improve my TOEFL."

"I need to improve my English to get a job."

"I want to be an airline stewardess."

"The shopping at Union Square is good!"

"I'm here to take the TOEFL, get a masters and introduce my father's products in a trade show." She says.

"What are your father's products?" I ask.

"Press machines."

"Like dry-cleaning?"

"No."

"Who knows what dry-cleaning is?" I ask, attempting to keep the class involved.

"They shape car parts."

"Oh really? Who knows what "to shape" means?

"A circle?"

"Yes that's a shape, but this shape is a verb."

"It means to make something into a circle." Some student says.

"What shapes do they make?"

"Not shapes, a press. Here, I'll draw it." (She goes to the board, class snickers)

"Like a mold?"

"What's a mold?"
I draw on the board, but I have no idea what this shit means -- but for some reason my students expect me to know every word in English no matter how specialized the industry.

"Ah, yes. And he makes laser machines."

"Who knows what a laser is? (silence) What's a laser? (silence) It's a hot light. It cuts things. Like Star Wars. You know, Star Wars? Light sabers? Who has seen Star Wars? Anway, so what kind of cars do you mold things for?"

"We don't mold things for companies, we sell the machines to companies."

"What are the parts?"

"Parts?"

"Yes, what do the machines press or mold?"

"Oh-- doors to cars and buses."

"So you work for him?"

"Yes, but I don't want to."

"Really, what do you want to do?" (what lesson? what class?)

"By the way do you know where trade shows are given in San Francisco?"

"No, but I will definitely get back to you."

"Get back to me?"

"Yeah, um, I'll tell you tomorrow."

"Okay thanks." (smiling at me, half-suspcious, half-amused because she can tell I'm interested. Girls can always tell.)

"No problem. Let me know if you want to know anything about San Francisco. Ok class is over. (no reaction) Class is over. Sorry. Class is finished. We're finished. Go home!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like that story.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...the picture posted here is of SF, but I had the impression you are living in Turkey...so where are you, exactly?